Asthma in Children
Asthma is a common disease that is difficult to deal with, there are a lot restrictions that could impair your normal function. This often causes sadness and emotional trouble to sufferers. The condition is difficult to adults and much more in children. Asthma in children is so rampant that around 8 million kids in the U.S. alone is afflicted by it. Asthma is a disease wherein the bronchial tubes gets inflammed and becomes sensitive to certain things like dustmites, pollen and fumes.
Causes of Asthma in Children
- Heredity – This is the usual reason why children develop asthma. The family might have a history of asthma or allergic rhinitis that could trigger asthma. In fact, most asthma in children are triggered by allergies.
- Environment – Living in an environment where allergens are present may induce asthma in children.
Symptoms of asthma in children
- Coughing (Worse at night or early in the morning)
- Shortness of Breath (Takes frequent pauses when talking)
- Chest Pain
- Prefers not to lie down
It is more difficult in children since asthma can limit play time, the child may experience coughing and wheezing whenever he is exhausted. the child may also have less stamina than his peers.
Treating asthma in children
Asthma in children is treated the same way as in adults. First you will have to determine what triggers the symptoms and try to avoid them. An inhaler may also be prescribed or if the child is unable to use an inhaler, medications may be administered using a nebulizer. Allergy shots may also be advised if there is a clear evidence that the asthma is caused by an allergy.
After treatment, your doctor will usually discuss with you some of the factors that could aggravate the childs asthma. Preventive measures will also be discussed and following them is highly advisable. Asthma in children are usually outgrown but it’s not a guarantee.
Our house is normally full of allergens like dustmites, the paint on the walls, the food that you prepare, the bedding’s etc… Here are some tips to help you make you home friendly to you kids condition.
- Change your carpets with vinyl or marble or tiles
- Use leather upholstered sofa’s
- Use hypo-allergenic beddings
- Keep your house dry
- Use air-conditioning to protect your child from temperature changes
- Clean your house every week
- No pets
It’s sad when sometimes we have to distance our kids from their pets, but it’s for their own good and a little explanation will make them understand why. Talking with your child about their condition will also help alot, attacks are scary and could sometimes trigger panic, which could aggravate the condition. Educate your child and tell him what to do in case of attacks. It’s always important that you are there for them to provide support. And don’t forget to teach them how to dial 911 in case of emergencies.